Thursday, January 1, 2009

A year in review

Happy New Year! Ok, I have to be honest. I don't really get all that excited about New Year's Eve. Or New Year's Day. I'm not a New Year's party-pooper; it's just not in my top 5 most anticipated holidays. There are a couple different post ideas I considered, but the things that would appear on my Best/Worst of 2008 list are a little to personal for a public blog post and I don't usually make New Year's resolutions. But here are a couple things that I've learned about myself over the past year.

1. I could never be a hermit. I'm an introvert, yes, but not a loner. I need interaction with people. I've been back at the apartment by myself for 3 days, and already I'm anxious for my roommate to be back. Thankfully, I went out to a movie with Mateo and Joni last night, so I was at least able see some friends since most are still out of town for the holidays. Beth wrote a few days ago about the importance of friends and Christian community. I completely agree. We were created to live in community, to support each other, to care about each other. The second greatest commandment: Love your neighbor as yourself. The two in me thrives on community (in a healthy sort of way, most of the time.)

2. I have a love/hate relationship with email. Email is wonderful; what would I do without it? I'm not really a "phone person." I call people to make plans and that sort of thing, but if I can do it over email I probably will. I'd rather talk in person so unless you're my mom or I know you really well, I'm probably not going to have a long conversation with you over the phone. So I love email because I don't have to use my phone, but when it becomes the only form of communication between friends it's not a good thing. I hate email because it can make it way too easy for us to just get by, not really take the time or make the effort to really see each other and show that we care. I love email and I hate email. I'll keep emailing because it's convenient and a good form of communication... just as long as it's not the only form of communication. :)

3. God likes to teach me lessons that I don't want to learn, but in retrospect I'm thankful. I've learned a lot over the past year. At times I've appreciated it during the process, but more often than not I've just wanted to get it over with--learn the lesson without the teaching. Looking back I'm really grateful for the lessons; they've made me depend on God for strength, love, and joy and realize that this life is not about me and all about Him. (And I'm working on being grateful in the midst of the teaching :) )

So long, 2008. Let's look forward to 2009.

No comments: