Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Contaminated limestone?

The autoclaves (machines that sterilize glassware and solutions with high temps and pressure) in my building caused floods down the hallways last week. Here are excerpts from Simon Hall emails about the solution...

"To fix the [drainage] problem, we think we need to replace the 2 1/2 tons of limestone chips. That probably will not happen for a few days... maybe by Wednesday of next week."

"Physical Plant is in the process of accessing the problem and will likely decide to replace the contaminated limestone chips."

Question: Doesn't moving 2.5 tons of limestone sound like a bigger deal than they're making it?

Question: How, pray tell, does limestone become contaminated? And what is it contaminated with?

Hmmmm...

2 comments:

Mateo said...

Limestone is pretty heavy. From what I can tell with 30 seconds of research, it looks like that's only about 1 cubic meter of limestone. It helps that the limestone is in chip form, too--much easier to work with chips than big blocks of the stuff.

It also looks like limestone has a high pH, so it may have been damaged by something acidic in the water.

So uh, yeah. I probably overthought all that.

MBK said...

Hahaha I love being friends with librarians! Always on top of the info or know where to find it.

I went back and read through all of the emails again... you're right... it was an acid neutralization problem to begin with. :)