Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Spirit, Africa, and a stubborn atheist

A couple days ago, Tim Leisz (a friend from Cgroup) posted this article from the Times on facebook:

As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God
(by Matthew Parris)

I highly suggest reading the whole thing; it's only about a page long. Here are a few selected quotes:

"Now a confirmed atheist, I've become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts. These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do. In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good."
...
"In the city we had working for us Africans who had converted and were strong believers. The Christians were always different. Far from having cowed or confined its converts, their faith appeared to have liberated and relaxed them. There was a liveliness, a curiosity, an engagement with the world - a directness in their dealings with others - that seemed to be missing in traditional African life. They stood tall."


I find the article both encouraging and frustrating. Encouraging because Parris acknowledges the good that's found in missions work in Africa, the difference it's making to both the physical and spiritual needs of the people. He also acknowledges that while secular charities also do good works, they're not providing the same benefits as Christian charities and missions. On the other hand it's frustrating to listen to Parris talk about this because he sees it. He SEES it. The characteristics he notices in the people--freedom, a relaxed state of mind, liveliness, curiosity. This is the Holy Spirit at work in these people. God's glory is shining through them. And Parris CAN SEE IT. But he doesn't acknowledge it for what it is; he's still holding to atheism. While I find this frustrating, hopefully the fact that he sees the Spirit is a stepping stone, just a piece of the story that God is showing him while pursuing his heart. I hope he gives in to the chase someday.

No comments: