Friday, December 12, 2008

There is no frigate like a book...

I was one of those kids who always had her nose stuck in a book--on the school bus, in the car, at recess. I love books. The stories, the characters, problems, resolutions, relationships--I can get lost in it all. I'm thankful for the printing press and the fact that books of all sorts are all readily available at the nearest library or bookstore. Not to mention the fact that we have the privilege of having God's Word in print to read and study for ourselves.

Lately, I've only been able to read science journal articles (aside from a couple weeks ago when I managed to make it through the first 20 pages of Pride and Prejudice before falling asleep on the couch.) Christmas break is prime time to read to my heart's desire, but I need suggestions! I'm game for just about anything: fiction, non-fiction, history, biography, poetry... So if you have any ideas I would be happy to hear them. :)

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Mateo said...

I've posted a few suggestions here:

http://mkpalos.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/recommended-reading-i/