I cannot even begin to tell you how extremely thankful I am that my biochemistry class is OVER! I took the last exam tonight; it wasn't the worst one, and it wasn't fantastic, but it's over. This was by far the hardest class I have ever taken. I've never had grades this low (luckily the whole class has grades similar to mine and there's a rather nice curve.) I actually like biochemistry, but this class... well, this class is notorious for making students hate it.
This past semester of grad school has been one of the most humbling experiences. Grad school makes you feel stupid. That's its job. You're supposed to feel stupid. Every day. They even have a lady from CAPS come in and talk to us at the beginning of the semester about Impostor Syndrome--when you begin to feel like you're not smart enough for this and that they must have admitted you by mistake--no joke, there's an actual name for it. I knew this coming into grad school; one of my closest coworkers in my old lab warned me about it and told me to not let it get to me--that it happens to everybody and the sooner you all admit to each other that you feel stupid, the sooner you can bond over it. (So true, I'm also thankful for the other Micro/MBG ladies who are all pretty awesome.) So here it is, one semester of feeling stupid down. I'm thankful I made it through with some pretty good friends, a great research project lined up, a passing biochem grade, and some measure of sanity.
1 comment:
that sounds horrible! i already struggle with the imposter syndrome!
p.s. i like your christmas-y blog. i tried to tell you that yesterday but the comment moderation thing wasn't working so i got angry and gave up. haha.
Post a Comment