Today Erica posted 10 songs that made an impact on her. And since I have extra time on my hands after having gotten up early (thanks to the YH phone chain :) ), I thought I'd do the same. So here are 7 songs that mean something to me, in chronological order. (I could probably come up with 10, but I only have 15 minutes left in this experiment incubation time.)
Except for Monday:: Lorrie Morgan
This song came out when I was 5 or 6 and I'm pretty sure I had no idea that it was about a break-up and the grieving process. But I really liked that it listed through the days of the week--there's just something about lists that really appeals to me. I have vivid memories of singing this song with my mom around the house. We would be listening to the radio while working in the kitchen, this song would come on and we would rush to the drawer to get wooden spoons to use as microphones. That's what this song makes me think of, and my mom and I still sing into wooden spoon microphones when I'm home.
Deeper than the Holler:: Randy Travis
Basically all my parents listened to as I was growing up was country. (Now they've branched out more and also gone back to their classic rock roots.) It's what was familiar and comfortable to me; although, it was completely uncool to listen to country in elementary school and I was pretty insecure and defensive about it. Now, I own it. I like country music. It's real, honest, and speaks about people and the way of life that I know. My first cassette tape was Randy Travis and I've loved him ever since. This song is one of my favorites, about a country guy describing love in his own terms. "My love is purer than a snowflake that falls in late December, and honest as a robin on a springtime windowsill, and longer than the call of the whippoorwill."
Scenes from a Coffeehouse (You'll always be mine):: Blessid Union of Souls
Self-titled album
My grade school-high school best friend, Nicole, (aka music supplier) gave me this album in junior high and I fell in love with it. I remember Nicole and I going on vacation with her family in Nashville, TN. We left at night and I listened to this album the whole way; it was the only one I could fall asleep to. This is my favorite song on the album. It's about a couple that decided that they were better off as friends rather than being romantically involved. Fitting-- story of my life thus far, and it's actually resulted in some great friendships.
Stompin' at the Savoy:: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
About 10 years ago, my friend Stacy and I started swing dancing. Ok, I admit it, we began dancing because a boy we had a crush on danced. What can I say? 13 yr old girls are fickle. Luckily, the love of jazz and swing dancing stuck, the boy didn't. Ella is one of my favorites, especially with this song. The Savoy was a ballroom in Harlem, popular during the 20s-40s. "Savoy, the home of sweet romance. Savoy, it wins you at a glance. Savoy, gives happy feet a chance to dance."
Stay:: Dave Matthews Band
DMB is probably the most frequent artist in my iTunes. I listened to them constantly during high school. And despite the fact that Ben (the self-proclaimed music snob) would probably unfriend me simply for having them on my list, I still love DMB. Rock and jazz combined, a saxophone in the band, Dave dancing around on stage with his guitar--what's not to like? In HS, I went to a couple DMB concerts with Nicole and a couple other friends, had a blast, and was thrilled when they played this song in the oncore. "Stay" is my all time fave DMB song, with "Ants Marching" as a close 2nd. It makes me think of summer and carefree days, as well as the flashbacks to high school. "Just wastin' time. Let the hours roll by, doin' nothing for the fun."
How He Loves:: John Mcmillan*
Beautiful lyrics, spiritual truth. I listened to this one on repeat for quite awhile at the end of last summer and through the fall semester. It provided some consistentcy and strength during a somewhat tumultuous time. It was just nice to have that reminder of God's love and grace. Still is. :)
*I like the Eddie Kirkland version better, but it's not on grooveshark
2 comments:
Haha I felt like my top ten was severely lacking as someone who was a teen in the late 90s/early 2000s, because I didn't have any dave matthews. I'm glad you were able to give him a place. :)
bahaha i like the swing dancing anecdote!
Post a Comment