"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.
"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.
Luke 15:20-24
This is a cheesy, Christian pop song, but I don't even care. The lyrics are just too good.
"Always have, always will"--Avalon
Part of me is the prodigal, part of me is the other brother
But I think the heart of me is really somewhere between them
Some days I'm running wild, Some days I'm reconciled
And I wonder all the while why you put up with me
When I wrestle most days to find ways to do as I please
I was born with a wayward heart, still I live with a restless spirit
My soul is so well worn, you'd think I'd have arrived by now
I'm caught in the trappings of, my search for lasting love
I've made mistakes enough to last me a lifetime
I still slip, I still fall, but I'll always run back to you
2 comments:
I just finished reading "Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henry Nouwen... it was good. It's a book based around his reflections on the famous Rembrandt painting of the same name.
He talks about how he is the prodigal... and how he is the older son... and how, in some senses, later in life, even is the father.
It's a good read, and I agree with Nouwen – I can see shades of myself in all three of the main characters. More often than not, though, I think I'm like the older son.
Hmm. I may have to check that out.
Post a Comment