Monday, February 9, 2009

The laboratory mission field

Tonight at Cgroup, I mentioned that I get discouraged at times, being a Christian in the science community. It's definitely true and I think a normal part of living in a secular society, especially in a scientific one that outwardly scoffs at Christ. As I think about it though, I think actual discouragement is only part of it. The other part is sadness because these people around me, people I care about and spend time with and share my week with, don't see what they're missing. I wish they did, it makes me sad.

On the other, not-so-depressing side, I have been getting little postcards from God lately. A couple weeks ago, another scientist in the Hardy/Tuli/Danthi superlab group was wearing a tshirt that had a verse from Psalms on the back. She actually goes to ECC which is awesome; we haven't really talked about it, but we have this sort of new, unspoken camaraderie. Anyway, I was totally encouraged by her that day. She was boldly wearing scripture on her sleeve. Just another little message from God saying that I'm not alone. He's here on this campus, in this science building, in this lab. And I know that. It's truth and I've been blessed with great friends who are both scientists and Christians. I take heart in that fellowship and shared love of both Christ and science. But sometimes it's a tough place to be, so it's nice to have those little God reminders.

I love the song 'Hosanna,' especially the bridge:

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

I want to dwell on it in this situation-- that God would continue to break my heart for my friends and colleagues who don't know him and would teach me to love them like He does.

No comments: