Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Beauty, part II: Life

October 29, 2008 (part 2 of 4... I think)

The other night I was with the Yellow House ladies carving pumpkins and watching Halloween movies. Hocus Pocus was playing the background as we sat chatting away, covered in pumpkin guts. At one point, I was struck by a connection between the movie and beauty. I know it sounds strange, but just stay with me; it's not as much of a stretch as it seems.

The basic premise of the movie is that 300+ yr old witches are brought back to life and then must capture the souls of children, dementor-style, in order to stay alive and become young and beautiful again. For them, life and beauty go hand in hand. Death results in deterioration. That's the case for us too. In many cases beauty is directly correlated to life. Nature is one of the most obvious. The spring is one of my favorite seasons (currently in a tight race with fall for first.) Trees begin budding, flowers bloom, and the world just seems to overflow with colors and activity. Thriving with new life, rejuvenated after the bare winter.

This is true for people too. When they're filled with life, beauty just flows out. But where does life come from?
The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. (John 6:63)

God is life. When I see/hear/experience my friends filled with the Spirit, it's beautiful. In particular, I'm thinking about the joyful faces and voices during worship and prayer. The more we are filled with the Spirit, the more we exude life and as a result, beauty.

No comments: