Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Beauty, part I: The way it should be

October 28, 2008

Beauty. A general definition: something that brings pleasure or satisfaction. But what does that mean exactly? What pleases us? What satisfies?

As a broad generalization, I think we find beauty in the way things should be. Take a look at the pictures I posted before, paying particular attention to the ones with people. The smiling, joyful faces of my baby cousins. The friendship and support shown between Melissa and Kendal. There's no pain, suffering, sorrow, anger, malice, bitterness, or violence in these pictures. What we do see there is joy, hope, love. Delighted innocence. Loving relationship.

I think this goes for the qualities of Jesus that we can see in other people as well. When we get a glimpse into who God made someone to be, it fills us with pleasure. Think of the beauty that we find in a gentle spirit, a strong yet humble leader, a caring friend.

Stay tuned for part II.

No comments: