Thursday, February 17, 2011

Giving value to survival

This evening I was chatting with some friends over dinner about art experience type projects that we had heard of and found particularly cool (see below). In light of recent government budget cuts, we also got onto of the subject of the arts being cut from schools. Something that, while none at the table was an artist by trade, we were all firmly against. We were involved in music or art or drama at some point during school, and I, for one, would not be who I am without it. Believe it or not, I was not a science geek in high school. I liked it and all, but I was really more into music, theater, and dance. I was in every band we had, 3 school plays, and went swing dancing on the weekends with my friends. It was where I grew out of the shy teenager into the woman who now loves to interact with people, is confident in her own skin, and gets a weird thrill out of public speaking. Playing music was and still is one of the most effective ways for me to calm an anxious mind, soothe a hurting heart, or work out frustration. My English, math, and science classes (while important and well-liked) didn't do those things; the arts did.

So I began thinking: what are we really trying to accomplish? The "core" subjects are important to have for everyday functioning, communication and future careers, but the arts are just as important for character development. C.S. Lewis said, " Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself (for God did not need to create). It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which gives value to survival." What exactly are we trying to accomplish with standardized tests and only catering to the left-brain? It seems we're limiting ourselves by shutting down creative thinking--and not just creative thinking to solve problems, but creative thinking just for the sake of creating. Like Lewis said, these things give value to survival. What is the point if we're simply manipulated (by ourselves or others) into trying to get to "the top," make the most money, get the fanciest job, but never really have a life that's filled with the satisfaction that God intended? It's not worth it to work so hard at "surviving the best" if there's no value in the survival. Obviously music and art are only a part of this, but there are so many things that the world counts unnecessary or frivolous, but God very clearly values. Sacrifice/offering (Matt 26:6-13), rest (Matt 11:28, Psa 46:10), and music as expression and praise (Psalm 33... and lots of others), just to name a few. Why is it so hard for us to understand this when we can clearly see the good that comes out of them? Just look at the examples below:

Music brings joy, community, fellowship, and happiness.


Hey Jude Times Square Subway Station from 39forks on Vimeo.



It's just plain fun. And encourages other healthy habits.


And last, but definitely not least:
Art helps communication.

No comments: