Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Bible for all ages


A book I ordered from Amazon came in the mail for me this week and I'm pretty excited about it: The Jesus Storybook Bible (written by Sally Lloyd-Jones.) That's right, I ordered a children's Bible. As an avid reader growing up who had at least 3 children's picture Bibles that I can remember, I have to say that this one is better than all of them. We've been using it all year long in teaching the 4 & 5 yr old class at ECC and I've fallen in love with it's method of storytelling--it connects every story back to Jesus. Also, its illustrations are pretty great too. Here, let me show you just a bit of why I really like it. This is from the introduction:

Now, some people think the Bible is a book of rules, telling you what you should and shouldn't do. The Bible certainly does have some rules in it. They show you how life works best. But the Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about God and what he has done.

Other people think the Bible is a book of heroes, showing you people you should copy. The Bible does have some heroes in it, but (as you'll soon find out) most of the people in the Bible aren't heroes at all. They make some big mistakes (sometimes on purpose). They get afraid and run away. At times they are downright mean.

No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of heroes. The Bible is most of all a Story. It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his long treasure. It's a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne--everything--to rescue the one he loves. It's like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!

You see, the best thing about this Story is -- it's true!
There are lots of stories in the Bible, but all the stories are telling one Big Story. The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them.

I just had to get it, because as much as I love reading it, it's best when shared with some kiddos. And at some point I'm banking on the fact that I'll have some to read it to, whether they're my own or cousins or nieces and nephews or neighbor kids or whoever.

1 comment:

Dan Waugh said...

i ordered a copy today!