Monday, June 15, 2009

The 'appearance' of wisdom


How does the perception of image affect our recognition and respect of wisdom?

I've been tossing this question around in my head ever since we discussed Tom Bombadil at LOTR book club awhile back. Someone mentioned Tom's knowledge and/or wisdom and it caught me a little off guard because I didn't see him in that light. I found Tom to be an intriguing and entertaining character and while he did get the hobbits out of a couple tight corners, I still viewed him as more of a silly character. He kind of reminded me of Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum in Alice in Wonderland--appearing as if from nowhere in the forest, singing merry tunes of nonsense. But that made me think: did I miss something? Was I disregarding what Tom had to offer simply because he was singing silly songs in his big yellow boots? And overall, do I/we miss out on learning from others because they don't look or act quite like we think they should?

Here's an example from another one of my favorites:
This asteroid has only once been seen through the telescope. That was by a Turkish astronomer, in 1909. On making his discovery, the astronomer had presented it to the International Astronomical Congress, in a great demonstration. But he was in Turkish costume, and so nobody would believe what he said. Grown-ups are like that... Fortunately, however, for the reputation of Asteroid B-612, a Turkish dictator made a law that his subjects, under the pain of death, should change to European costume. So in 1920 the astronomer gave his demonstration all over again, dressed with impressive style and elegance. And this time everybody accepted his report.
-From The Little Prince, by Antoine de St Exupery.


On the same note, I'm much more likely to give creedence to someone like Gandalf. With his tall pointed hat, long grey cloak, "long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat" than Tom with his yellow boots, singing "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!" Gandalf's appearance and entrance are more sober, classic, grown-up.... socially acceptable by our standards. And beyond that, bits of wisdom are laced through his conversations. I think if this were not the case, that is if his conversations were filled with foolish statements and dishonesty, it would quickly discredit him despite his appearance. However, since this is not the case, his appearance strengthens his overall reputation.

First impressions based on appearance definitely have the opportunity to guide our perceptions of people. And it's necessary, I think for us to be able to make reasonably quick decisions and judgements about the validity of a person/problem/situation. But, how can we be more cognizant of socially and culturally enforced ideals, so as not to trust or distrust based heavily on appearance or image? Still tossing it around, with probably more posts to come... thoughts?

1 comment:

Tim said...

I think you've definitely touched on something that Tolkien uses throughout the Lord of the Rings: the deception of appearance.

There's the little rhyme about Aragorn: "All that is gold does not glitter."

Or what Frodo ways when he meets him "I think a servant of the enemy would somehow look fairer and feel fouler."

Or the hidden wisdom of Farmer Maggot. Or even the wisdom of Butterbur, who Gandalf says could "stare through a brick wall" in time. :)

Good stuff!