Sunday, May 24, 2009

Why I think four-year-olds are great

Today in the 4s & 5s room after the story was told and the construction paper crafts were put away, I played legos with Gavin, a sweet four year old with a great imagination. No better way to spend a joy-filled Sunday morning. There's no one like a child to bring you out of a self-centered outlook. Suddenly you find yourself elbow deep in a tub of legos trying to get a four year old interested enough in the fort you're building so that he won't be as concerned about being in a group of kids he doesn't know so well. And it's just fun to be absorbed in the whimsy and imagination of a four year old. There can be windows without walls and a dog that's larger than the lego people and the steering wheel in the middle of the yard that may or may not control something--it doesn't have to make sense; it can be whatever you want it to be, no rhyme or reason. On the other side of the room Maya and Eli were jumping up and down because they had finished a 100 piece puzzle that they started before story time. Christopher beamed when he managed to spell out his entire first name on a piece of construction paper--11 letters is no small feat for a four year old! They make me smile and laugh and get excited about things that I wouldn't have batted an eye at yesterday. I love looking at life through the eyes of a kid and I think they teach me just as much as I try to teach them.

1 comment:

Dan Waugh said...

sounds like a blast. they probably don't know it yet, but they are blessed to have wonderful people like you there in their lives too.

by the way, I really like the new look for the blog.