Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My hobbies? Ummm...

I was asked a few days ago what my hobbies are. I sat there and racked my brain, eventually coming up with an answer although I had not participated in said hobby for quite some time. I came home and asked my roommate, who knows me about as well as I do, what my hobbies were. She paused and looked at me strangely... "Uhhhh... I don't know..." After considering it for a few more minutes, we came to the conclusion that I do not have hobbies... at least not in the traditional definition of a hobby.

Everything I enjoy doing somehow involves science, God, my friends, and nature--all of which could also be classified under school/work, church activities, and just spending time with friends. I don't think most people classify school/work/church as hobbies. My definition of hobbies: things that I enjoy doing that are not obligations. Granted school and work are both obligations, but I really enjoy my job which is centered around science and Kendal and I have sciencey conversations all the time at home (recent topics have been craniofacial duplication and how the rabies vaccine works.) I have now come to the conclusion that my main hobby is getting to know people, which honestly seems kind of strange since I tend to think of myself as more as an introvert than an extrovert. Whenever I have spare time, I'm usually spending it with a friend in some way, shape, or form. Given the choice (and pleasant weather), I would prefer spending that time outside--so I guess that's where the nature part comes in. If I can spend some time with a person, we have a good conversation, a few laughs, I learn something about you, you learn something about me--then I'm a pretty satisfied person :)

That said, just to give you an idea of hobbies that I have enjoyed in the past, but don't necessarily do on a regular basis: playing the alto sax, swing dancing, showing sheep, gardening, spending time outside (doesn't happen as often as I would like).

1 comment:

b7 said...

Aww, you're my hobby, too! ;-)